You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Ask about bengal

Importance of Howrah

Howrah railway station is one of th most important railway station of our state, West Bengal. How this station should be improved as still comparing it with other railway stations of foreign countries its not up to the mark. So what should be done for a better station?
    Ankit thanks for raising this very good post. Well i had not visited the Howrah Railway station so far. But from the images what i could see over internet lots of improvement has to be done to have a fast facelift. Many International tourists visit this state and particularly through this station.

K Mohan

Thank You Mr K Mohan for your response to my topic. Compare the Howrah station to the other Railway stations of the developed countries then only the difference will be clear to our eyes. Howrah is one of the most important railway station of Bengal. And many changes are required in it.
    I would like the other members specially the top ranking ones, the editor and the webmaster to response to this forum and state their views regarding this topic. How the station can be developed and brought to the level of other developed countries.

Thank You
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Thanks for raising a good topic, if you compare Howrah station with the stations of other Metro cities we really feel sorry about Howrah. The following things needs to be done to improve Howrah station

1) The Bus terminals adjoining the station needs to improved with proper sign boards
    2) The Pre-paid taxi booth service needs to be improved.
    3) The areas outside the Station needs to cleaned and the Hawkers needs to be relocated at a particular area near to the station.
    4) The subways leading to the station needs to be cleaned on regular intervals.

Regards,
    Pradipta

Thank You Mr Pradipta Mahato for your response to my topic. The changes you mentioned are nice ones and should be paid some attention by our government. But still there are other changes too to be made here. These changes include a better waiting room, better toilets, better facility for buying tickets. The railway station should be completely safe but its not so. In some way or the other security in Howrah station is missing. There should also be proper guide facility in the station.

Thank You
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Hello Ankit

I want to point to the tiny fact that you actually should have titled this thread as 'Importance of Howrah railway station' instead of the one given because in your description you clearly mention that you intend to discuss about the importance of the railway station of Howrah and not Howrah as a whole which is also pretty important being an city filled with industry and population and also with the famous Howrah railway station which I will now discuss.

Howrah railway station is immensely important. It is the biggest and most important railway hub of eastern India. It has it's own history and heritage as well. But with time all the constructions and technologies used which were ultramodern back then have now become outdated and primitive, so in my opinion the construction and technologies of the station as well as tracks and other equipments should be modernized. This should be done keeping the sentiment for the precious heritage intact.

Regards
    Bhaswar

Hi Ankit,

I have last seen Howrah station at least six months back. For the last few years I am not in Kolkata. But how far I can remember from my childhood it has developed a lot. The new complex has helped a lot to bifurcate the rush. Now the old complex is particularly for eastern railway and the new complex is for south eastern railway.

Initially there were many irregularities, but now-a-days it has recovered from many irregularities. Now the platforms are better than few years back. Restaurants are of good qualities.

Now coming to the peripheral part i.e. outskirt of the platform. Still there are so many things to change. First, the bus depot as well as the mini bus stand. Secondly, Trafic police system i.e. to make a genuine effort to avoid jam of taxi just beside the gate of station. Thirdly, the hotels in the vicinity of River Ganges are completely dirty. There should have been a process to maintain cleanliness. Rest of the things are so so.

Anyways thanks for the valuable post. Hoping to get more reply.

Thanks,
    Debashish Bhattacharya

Hello Mr Bhaswar Mukhopadyay,

This is really a good response made by you, and your suggestion is also very much important to me. But I want to say that whenever it comes to the name of Howrah the first image which comes into people's mind is the great Howrah station. It is the most important part of Howrah and is the most important railway station of our state too. But still according to the heading of this forum thread any member can comment on the overall Howrah city and that will be better too.

Thanks a lot,
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Hello Mr Debashish Bhattacharya,

This is really a nice response. I am happy to see such a response for this topic. Thanks for your valuable response in all my forum topics. The changes you mentioned here are really important and the major ones. I think there should be a better management system or the ticket counters. Self ticket collecting machines which are like ATMs can be introduced where people can buy tickets of their own and so they do not need to waste their valuable time standing in the long line.

I hope you understand my words. Other members please try to respond to this forum.

Thank you,
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Hi Ankit,

I stay at Mumbai. There is one coupon system for tickets i.e. we can purchase a coupon of 30, 50, or more according to availability. With that coupon we can travel as per the ticket fare. There are several punching machine beside ticket counter. Only you need to punch the amount of the ticket fare.

This helps to reduce the pressure in ticket counter.

Thanks,
    Debashish Bhattacharya

Hello,

This is really a nice information posted Mr Debashish. This will surely reflect the changes required in the Howrah station of our state and it shows the difference of Howrah station with the other important stations of this country.

This kinds of informations are always welcome. Members if you have any more ideas or points kindly post it here.

Thank You,
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.