You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Ask about bengal

Corruption in Bengal

Corruption has affected all the states of India widely. West Bengal is not left in this list. How do you think that corruption has affected the development of Bengal?
    Members please give your views.

Thank You,
    Ankit Patwari.
    Hello Ankit,

Yes I agree with you hundred percent that corruption has loomed large in all the states of India. Nevertheless, this is nothing unique; corruption was there in all times and places. Kautilya's Arthasastra for example gives a detailed account of corruption in ancient India, mostly among the government officials as well as the merchants. Aristophanes in the ancient Greece was sharp with his satire against the corrupt political demagogues. In the sixteenth century England, satirists like Hall wanted their compositions to "shoot out sharp quills" like a porcupine to the foibles and corruptions of the society. So it is nothing amazing at all the Bengal in the present day is quite corrupted.

In fact we tend to think that in the good old days there was no corruption and only the present time is very much polluted. There was huge corruption in Bengal during the Sen and the Hussen Shahi dynasties. The upsurge of Chaitanya's Vaishnavism had a purgatorial effect for quite some time; but later with the advent of the British Raj the corruption in Bengal went back to its earlier form. And the tradition continues still today.

Now the question is, who are corrupt? We are. We form the state. We the people of West Bengal are corrupt. How many of us can assert that in our entire lives we have never performed any corrupt ritual? If we purge ourselves, as well as be Good Samaritans and help our neighbours overcoming their shortcomings, Bengal will be a divine abode in no time.

Regards,
    Kumaraditya Sarkar

Hello Mr Kumaraditya Sarkar,

It is nice to see this response. The points you mentioned here about the corruption of Bengal are really good ones.

But I want to add up something, the corruption in Bengal continues and will continue for decades if we are taught like this way. Whenever a traffic police charges a family inside a car for ill driving the person inside the car pays him a 500 rs note. The children inside the car learns the same thing and continues with it when he is a adult. These things should be stopped. Again whenever there is a huge money given by the government for the development of welfare it is not fully utilized for that particular purpose rather it fits in the pockets of some high ranking officials. These are the drawbacks today for the corruption of our state Bengal and it affects us widely in the development of our state. If this continues our state can not achieve that development which it is supposed to in the next few years.

Again there is corruption in the farming sectors too. The organisations of the farmers are corrupted. Even the farmers themselves are corrupted in some cases. The Zamindari system still exists in some places of Bengal though it is not there in pen and paper.

Thank You,
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Hi,
    Thanks a lot for putting this into the forum. Like charity begins at home I should say honesty begins at home. In our day to day life if we maintain honesty and follow truth to every aspect of life the scenario may change. The first selfishness taught by Mother only when she says with affection 'Do not share your tiffin with anyone.'

Do we really follow the path what we believe? The moment hypocracy starts in our life corruption begins. Truely the base of this is insecurity, which comes from fear to sustain in life.

The moment we start believing on ourselves all corruption vanishes.

Thanks,

Debashish Bhattacharya

Hello Mr Debashish Bhattacharya,

Thanks a lot for your response. Your points is very true and your are right in your opinion. The behavior and nature of a child totally depends upon the type of learnings and teachings given by his/her parents.
    But I must say the culture and learnings of India are not like that. India is known worldwide for its education, knowledge and culture, then why this corruption is there in our country?
    The question is really confusing as to every reason there is a answer.
    I would like the other members of this website too to response to this thread and make out a good topic of discussion.

Thanks a lot,
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Ankit,
    Very fit question for westbengal. Mainly in administration level. So, observer is required (from another state) for each department. you can response in my following link
    http://www.bengalspider.com/forum/804-Police-observer-required-each-state-comment-it.aspx

subrata ray from bengal

Thank you sir.
    Sir i will be glad to reply in your forum thread.
    Thank you,
    Ankit Patwari

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Subrata Ji,

If you post a forum thread, people can see it on their own, it is very odd to refer to another thread in this response. However, if you want to notify any member of this website and want to convey anything, you can make use of the messaging system of BengalSpider, apart from the more regular processes of communications of phone, email and social networking site chats. Hope you got the point.

Regards,
    Kumaraditya Sarkar

Hello everyone

A very interesting thread with a very relevant topic which can be considered as a burning issue in our country as well as our state West Bengal as the administration seems so sink more and more into the darkness of corruption. The problem of corruption has been in front of our eyes for decades, penetrating deeper than ever with every passing day. Not only the authorities have grown a habi to turning a blind eye to it but also we the common people have grown accustomed to it instead of standing against it.

The public being used to such corruption in all levels is I think an ominous sign to what the future has in store for us. As people become more tolerant, corruption gains more strengths and grows more vampiric fangs to suck us dry. Unless public awareness can be resurrected to confront the issue of corruption at every level the future looks gloomy. Speaking of public awareness I remember the fact that it has become a practice to indulge in corruption without the slightest feeling of remorse even among the common people. If this trend keeps it's pace then we will be shaming the names of those who fought to give us freedom and eventually we will wipe ourselves out from the history of proud races.

Regards
    Bhaswar

Hello Bhaswar,

This is a nice response you had posted to this thread. Your response gives us a vivid description on the topic of corruption and helps us to understand in what ways Bengal is affected.

You are reall a nice person and your views are also great.

Thanks a lot,
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Hi Everybody,
    Again I would like to say charity begins at home. The moment we correct us corruption vanishes. So please rectify us only. Corruption is nothing but the output of our impurity in every level.

Thanks,

Debashish Bhattacharya

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.