You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Ask about bengal

Political consciousness

Bengalis are politically conscious or hyperactive is a million dollar question. Please post your feeling on it.
    Hello Mr. Debashish Bhattacharya,

Yes we can very well say that the Bengalis are pretty well conscious about what is going on around them in the world of politics. However, I have personally seen that even the educated Bengali people mostly confine them to the politics of West Bengal only, and are not much acquainted with the politics of other states in India. Suppose, if I want people to discuss about some political leaders of any other state in India, say some of the MPs of Punjab, I am quite sure that not much people will have interest to discuss on this topic.

Our political consciousness is even less when it comes to the international politics. At least the educated Bengalis should be more aware of the international politics. I think this will also be helpful to clear several competitive examinations for administrative jobs as well as this will be a great enhancement to our repertoires of general knowledge and current affairs.

I would love to hear from my fellow members of BengalSpider regarding this.

Regards,
    Kumaraditya Sarkar

Hello Mr. Debashish Bhattacharya and Mr. Kumaraditya Sarkar

Firstly I would like to thank Mr. Debashish Bhattacharya for bringing up this wonderful topic in the forums. People of Bengal have always been concerned about the political situations of the state as well as the nation. This political consciousness and awareness led to the fact that during Indian freedom movement bengalis were always upfront in the rebels squads. Thus the history of Bengal itself proves to be a document of political awareness.

In response to Mr. Kumaraditya Sarkar's interesting post I would like to point out a few facts. He is right about the matter that nowadays Bengalis are more concerned with only the narrow political rivalries going on in the state itself and are less interested in what's going on outside the state or the country. As the generations have changed so has the tendency of political awareness among bengalis. Bengali students who come to face politics in their student life are dragged into rivalries among different student organizations which represent different political parties and they lose the will to spread their knowledge and interest beyond just local issues being confined in such situations. This leads to future citizen who understand politics as only a competition to avail power by any means and hence they just focus on the political events of the locality, thus the state.

There may be other reasons and hopefully exceptions among us and I hope that Bengal's political awareness will not let the glory of the past fade away so easily.

Regards
    Bhaswar

Hi Kumaraditya and Bhaswar,
    Thanks for your message. It is nice to hear from you. In this particular time frame it is to some extent impossible for us to keep ourselves involved in all political matters. The reason is nothing but lack of time and mentality. Regarding mentality we are not responsible. The personalities are more responsible for that. Even today's world people are not interested to listen anything about them only due to their deed.

It is always good if you know only that subject related with you. We need to know about politics only because they are not doing their job properly.

Actually it is not their problem also, it is the system that we are following in our country.

Hoping to post a resource on this subject.

Thanks,

Debashish Bhattacharya

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.