You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellanous

Translation of Bengali Literature

Do you think there are several writers and their writings present in bengal, which values a great in world literature? Due to lack of translation in English or other languages they are not popular?
    Hello Mr Debashish Bhattacharya,

It is very nice to see that you are posting such kind of topics regularly in the Bengal Spider forum.
    Bengali literature is famous world wide and I dont think that they should be translated to any other language. The Bengali writers are famous worlwide like Rabindranath Tagore and Michael Madhusudhan Dutta and there writings should not be translated as the translated version of these writings do not carry the same meaning like the original ones and they cannot give the same lessons. Bengali literature attracts many people to learn the language Bengali even in the foreign countries but if once the writings are converted then many less number of people will come to learn Bengali.

Thank You,
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Hi Ankit,
    Many many thanks for your views regarding this. Though I am not agreeing with your answer, I respect your sentiment.

I will be replying regarding this later.

Thanks,
    Debashish Bhattacharya

You are most welcome Mr Debashish,

and yes it is better to wait for the response of the other important members of Bengal Spider before replying to my opinion.'

Thanks a lot for bringing these kind of topics in Bengal Spider forum.

Thank You,
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Hello Mr. Debashish Bhattacharya and Mr. Ankit

I personally feel translation is a good way to make people from different region, language and culture to recognize literature of other regions. Ankit is partially correct in saying that translation does not carry the true essence but it can help in provoking interest among others. That is why translation is also considered as an indirect measure of popularity. Some of those interested readers then might want to go deeper in bengali literature and even learn bengali for this.

If jewels of bengali literature are left unpublicized and not spread throughout the world then bengali literature will be deprived of the recognition it deserved and also readers of other regions will be deprived of some supreme pieces of literature.

I look forward to hearing from you and other members what you think of my opinion and thanks to Mr. Debashish Bhattacharya for bringing up this nice topic into the Bengalspider forum.

Regards
    Bhaswar

Hi Bhaswar and Ankit,

Sorry for being late to reply in this matter. I personally feel our literature is very rich in its own way. The interesting part of our language is that it is not easy to translate properly with keeping all the feel intact because there are some words in our language which cannot be converted with alternative language properly. But the plus point of any conversion is to reach maximum people to share our culture as well as our vision towards this world. Though we know any conversion suffer loss. Similarly this translation should suffer loss. But the benefit is much more.

Famous writers philosophy should be carried away to mass only to put a permanent impression on people.

So for the benefit of this world we should translate our literature.

Thanks,
    Debashish Bhattacharya

Hello Mr Bhaswar Mukhopadyay and Mr Debashish Bhattaharya,

Sorry for the late response. But according to me translation of Bengali literature and other sort of articles should not take place. I personally do not support it. The reasons for this is the writers and the authors of these great poems or other forms of literature works really hard to write up such a thing. The great poets write up poems and once they are translated into any other languages the same value of those poems will not be available to the readers.

Again one more great example I want to give. The Rabindra Sangeet is written by the great person Rabindranath Tagore. If these best form of Bengali music is translated into any other language then according to me its real value will not be presented to the listeners. The Rabindra Sangeets carries an interior meaning and are the most soothing music of Bengali. Not only people of Bengal but also people from all other states as well as people outside the country of India origin or foreigners are attracted towards Rabindra Sangeet and they learn Bengali for these Rabindra Sangeet. They love to listen to this soothing Bengali music. But just think if once these music is translated into other languages then people of abroad or from other states will not remember Bengal or our great poet Rabindranath Tagore. The exact meaning of the music will also not be clear to the people and the hard work of the great poet will go to vain. So according to me we should not translate Bengali literature into other languages.

Thank You,
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Hi Ankit,

Sorry, I have difference of opinion in this topic. I hope you have heard the name of Paulo Coelho. He is a portugees writer and known world wide for his writings. He writes in his native language. His books are translated in English. The first popular book writen by him is 'The Alchemist'. If you have not gone through this, please.

It was not possible for me to know about his writings if not translated in English.

There are several writers in Bengal other than Rabindranath Tagore i.e. Bibhuti Bhushan Bandopadhaya, Manik Bandopadhaya, Shankar etc. These writers are very rich in their work. So what is the wrong if it goes to other in translated form?

I personally feel people should know about them through their writings. For your information Gulzar, the eminent writer in film industry, knew about Tagore's writings initially in translated form. Later he was advised by someone to learn Bengali and read his writings in his native language. He knows Bengali better than many Bengalis.

So, we may get many like Gulzar who will learn Bengali to read our literature in native language. But before that it should reach to people.

Anyways sorry if I have hurt you.

Thanks,
    Debashish Bhattacharya

N.B.: Bhaswar I would like to get your opinion regarding this post also.

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.