You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Ask about bengal

What dress do Bengali men prefer?

Hello every one,
    I want to start this forum to show the culture of Bengali men. There are many Bengali people here in Bengal Spider. Even the non Bengali members who now live in Bengal is a part of Bengal and could be called as Bengal. So please say that what dress do you prefer? And what is the actual dress code for the men of Bengal according to you? All the members if you have any idea about Bengali dress please respond as your valuable response will make it a good topic of discussion and any one who is willing to know about the Bengali culture of dress will get a good idea from this thread. So lets start a nice discussion here.

Thank You,
    Ankit Patwari.
    Hi Ankit,

It is a nice post in forum to discuss. Personally I feel you should wear that dress only through which you feel comfortable. Even a culture is coming where in corporates also dress code will be vanished. Dresses are made according to the need of the situation of that particular region. Bengalis are having their traditional dress i.e. Dhoti and Punjabi. But in today's world you cannot travel with those dresses in Buses or Metro. If you feel comfortable and can manage with this dress in streets then there is no other choice. I myself believe: your dress should be as per your choice.

Thanks,
    Debashish Bhattacharya

The concept of dress always changes along with time. There was a time in the ancient Bengal where people usually wore vastra and uttariya, that is a dhoti like garment and a piece of cloth to cover the upper parts of the body. Dhoti was introduced perhaps around the early medieval period of Bengal which continued to reign supreme as the prime dress of the Bengali men until the early twentieth century. In the twentieth century, shirts and trousers, the later most commonly called pants, became the popular fashion. In the transcending period, shirt and dhoti was also very common, and at a time singers like Shyamal Mitra and Hemanta Mukhopadhyay in his shirt and dhoti almost became the youth icons of Bengal. Nowadays mostly due to the hot weather in the summer, T shirts are also securing a good place in the wardrobes of the Bengali men.

Like Mr. Debashish Bhattacharya I also opine that one's dress code should depend on various things - the weather, the place (one can't dress alike during casual shopping and serious office meetings) and profession (a professor's and his pupil's dress will not be similar and are not expected to be so as well). One's physique also helps determining one's dress. Thin and fat people's should not dress alike.

Regards,
    Kumaraditya Sarkar

Hello Mr Kumaraditya and Mr Debashish,

Thanks or your lovely response. I want to add up some points. Bengali people specially who work in offices or some businessman prefer wearing Blazers especially during the winters as it is the latest trend in fashion. Blazers provide a gentle look and is preferred everywhere. But there is nothing like our traditional dress i.e. Dhoti and Punjabi and people in Dhoti is always respected. Traditional dresses have a different value always.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

Hi Ankit,

I respect your thought process. But what about those politicians(wearing dhoti and punjabi) who has finished our west bengal since independence. I do not think dress code can be a part of measuring respect. I know you said from general perspective. Yes it feels something different with Dhoti and Punjabi, but please do not relate dress code with respect.

I myself stay in Mumbai and work in one of the premiere motion picture organization. We never use blazer in winter also because the temperature in Mumbai is not suitable for those dresses. Yes sometimes we are forced to do because of the importance of situation.

Hope I have not hurt you.
    Thanks,
    Debashish Bhattacharya

Hi Ankit,

Sorry for being aggressive enough. Actually white is having the property of influencing others maximum. White is not any color. It is the light part of every color. One of the fundamental of light is it commands attention. The other fundamental, it sets the mood.

These are the two main factors of feeling gracious in white. You may notice white always keep special attention irrespective of dress code. What I meant to say when we are talking about dhoti and punjabi, we are considering the form. But the property of white is more important than the form of the dress code in this case.

Thanks a lot for this post,

Debashish Bhattacharya

Thanks for the lovely response Mr Debashish.
    I did not mind it.

Thanks a lot,
    Ankit Patwari.

Regards,
    Ankit Patwari

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.