Resources » Travel Information » Place to Visit in Bengal
Sagardwip - Beach Tourist Spot of Bengal - Sagar Island (Gangasagar)
Sagar Island, also known as Gangasagar, is 128kms away from Kolkata and presents an ideal repose for a quiet weekend in South 24-Parganas district of West Bengal. Sagardwip is a small island in the Sunderban of the southernmost part of West Bengal. Gangasagar (Sagardwip) is a religious spot for Hindu pilgrims and is bequeathed with a quiet charm amidst the completely un-spoilt. Sagar Island, silvery beach on the estuary of the mighty Ganga, has a lighthouse, which offers a panoramic view of the surroundings.
Mythology of Sagardwip, Ganga Sagar:-
Gangasagar, mentioned in many tales in ancient Indian Literature and in Hindu mythology, is the place where Pandavas in Mahabharata go for sagarsangam in Ramayana.
When you take a trip to the island you will find it more interesting to know its history. Gangasagar or Sagardwip is famous for Kapil Muni's ashram. Sagar dip in the holy water of Gangasagar is said to equal a prayer of the ‘Ashwamedh Jogya’.
Sagardwip Weekend tourist spot in Bengal near Kolkata:-
Sagardwip has a breathtaking view of the spectacular sunset and sunrise, which will make your day. The Silvery beaches of Sagar Island covered with red crabs and trees in the beach of Sagardwip makes a magical ambience for the visitors. One can enjoy the pleasant nature; sand, sun, sky for a quiet weekend alongside Religious temples.
Gangasagar: Places to Visit in Sagardwip: -
|The Kapil Muni Temple is the holiest place to visit in Sagardwip. Other places of Sagar Island as follows:|
- Bharat Sevashram Sangha temple of Gangasagar
- The Ramakrishna Mission of Sagardwip
- The Onkarnath temple in Sagar Island, religious sites of Sagardwip, the weekend tourist spot of Bengal.
- Fairgrounds at South Sagar, Religious place of Bengal.
- Sea beach at Sagardwip, excellent weekend beach tourish spot of Bengal.
- Sagar Marine Park at Sagardwip of Bengal.
Sagar Lighthouse and Port at Beguakhali in Sagar Island of Bengal.
Where is Gangasagar? How to reach Sagardwip?
Now-days, Sagardwip is well connected with the City of joy, Kolkata. A 3-hours Bus journey from the heart of Kolkata, Esplanade to Harwood points of Kakdwip. Then one needs to cross the river ‘Muriganga’ on a boat to ‘Kachuberia’. You could go to Sagardwip by a Bus from Kachuberia.
One could take the Railway route from Sealdaha South section to directly Kakdwip; as Sealdaha-Kakdwip Local Train service is available.
Alternate way of reaching Gangasagar: - Take bus from Kolkata to Namkhana (105 Kms), then cross the ‘Muriganga’ River and reach ‘Chemaguri’. Boats are available at the Harwood Points and at Chemaguri Point, every one-hour daily.
Where to stay in Sagardwip? Accommodation of Gangasagar
Dharmashala of Mission and Guest Houses of West Bengal State Government are there in Sagardwip for spending the weekend in the excellent Beach of Bengal. Some of the places for spending days and nights in Sagar Island as follows:
- Dharmashala of Bharat Sevasram Sangha
- Dharmashala of Kapil Muni's Sangha
- P.W.D Bunglow Zila Parishad Bungalow
- Tourist lodges at Sagardwip and a Youth Hostel.
- Dharmashala of Sankaracharya Ashram
Safety concerned of Sagardwip / Sagar Island
Sagardwip the best weekend tourist spots of Bengal nearby Kolkata. But, before planning to have a visit to Sagardwip/Gangasagar, you should be aware of these following alerts of Sagardwip:
- Always carry snake and mosquito repellents.
- One should carry Electric Torches –or- Emergency Lights as Sagar Island does not have sufficient Electricity. Sagar Island only gets few hours of electricity supply during the evening 6pm to 9pm only.
- During Ganga Sagar Mela (The fair), there is sufficient supply of electricity for 24-hours.
- One should be careful from Snakebite; mortality of Snake bite is considerably high, in Sagar Island. Sagar Gramin Hospital is the only place in Sagardwip to treat Snake Bites.
Sab tirtha bar bar; Gangasagar Ekbar – Let’s go to Gangasagar, the beach weekend tourist sot near kolkata in Bengal, in the coming weekend.
Read related articles: South 24 Parganas Gangasagar
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Return to Article Index
West Bengal Information Guide
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...