Cranberry : One cup fresh cranberry.
Tomatoes : 4/5 plump red medium chopped to small pieces
Khejur : Nearly 20 khejurs(dates) to be cut in halves
Sugar : Half cup or more according to your sweet level.
Salt : Minimum amount. Depends on you.
Mustard Seeds : 1 tea-spoon
Ginger : Fresh ginger grated and then pressed to extract 1 tea-spoon
of ginger juice.
Five Spice Mix(Panch phoron) : Dry roasted and ground to a powder.
Use about 1tea-spoon.
1. Put Oil in a Kadhai or Frying Pan and heat it.
2. Then add Mustard seeds. To prevent them from sputtering all around the kitchen,close the lid.
3. When they start sputtering add the chopped tomatoes.Pan-fry till the tomatoes turn into a fine pulp.
4. Add the cranberries and stir.
5. Add the khejurs and cook stirring the mixture.
6. Add 1 tea-spoon of ginger juice.
7. Add salt, small amount of water and then cover it.Let it cook.
8. After sometime, when the tomatoes are well cooked, add half a cup of sugar.
9. Add a little water (depends on you) and bring the mixture to boil.
10. Do check it.It should be thick and sweet but tangy. If you feel anything more is required add it.If you want you can add sugar even.
11. Before serving scatter nicely about 1 tea-spoon of the panchpuran powder you prepared. To make the dish little spicy you can add 1/2 red chillies into the preparation.
I hope you will love the preparation. Do have it in lunch or dinner as a side dish.
More articles: Veg Bengali Recipe