Calcutta University Library Membership: Eligibility rules, fees, procedure
Did you know even college students can get Calcutta University Library membership? Learn more about Calcutta University Library membership rules, fees, eligibility criteria and procedures.
Calcutta University library membership is not only for the ongoing postgraduate students and teachers of the university. Even undergraduate students under the University of Calcutta can get CU Central Library membership and make use of the reading room section. Unfortunately, many people does not know it. When I was asking my final year graduation students that why don't you make use of the Calcutta University central library reading room membership, they said they never knew that college students are permitted to do that. And I believe, it is a case for many college students.
Not only the students of affiliated colleges; Calcutta University library membership can also be availed by ex-students, ex-teachers, retired employees of the university, guest lecturers, research scholars and many other persons. Keep reading to get complete information of who can assess Calcutta University library membership, fees for ex students or teachers and other users, application procedure for CU library membership card for college students and other details.
Various sections of Calcutta University Central Library
Calcutta University Central Library has different sections. There is a Reading Room and a Lending Section, as usual. The lending section of CU central library is equipped with both traditional card catalogues and online catalogues. There is an Internet Section on the first floor; students can use online materials and JStor articles in Calcutta University Central Library from this section. The third floor has the Reference Section — here the students can access reference materials and UGC NET career guidance materials. However, please note that only the ongoing students and teachers have access to all these sections through their regular library card. Other members are restrained from different sections, or have to pay special fees for the same. Let us see different memberships of Calcutta University Central Library, and who is restrained from which section.
Calcutta University Central Library memberships and fees structure
- Ongoing postgraduate students and research scholars of Calcutta University can access all the sections described above, for an annual fee of Rs. 200 collected at a time for the entire academic year.
- Ex students of Calcutta University also have access to all sections. Calcutta University Central Library membership fees for ex students is Rs. 100 per 3 months.
- MA / MSC exam dropped candidates of the university have the same access and have to pay the same fees as ex students.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students of CU affiliated colleges can access only the Reading Room of CU Central Library for an annual charge of Rs. 200.
- UGC NET career guidance students have to pay Rs. 100 per term of 3 months and can use the Reading Room and Reference Section.
- Teacher of CU affiliated colleges can access CU Central Library Reading Room section only. The fee is Rs. 100 for 3 months.
- University guest teachers can use the Reading Room, Reference Section and Lending Section. They have to pay a refundable amount of Rs. 2000 and can borrow a maximum of 2 books at a time, the printed price of which must be within the deposit amount.
- Retired teachers and employees can also borrow 2 books at a time after depositing Rs. 2000, just like guest teachers.
- University teachers can access all sections and can borrow 15 books at a time.
Calcutta University library membership application procedure for college students / private candidates
When I told my students that yes, you can go for CU library membership, their next question was about the application procedure. The large mansions, security personnel, and a crowd of unfamiliar faces often leave the college students a little baffled. They also struggle to find out how to get Calcutta University Library membership form, where and whom to contact, where is the enquiry and so on. Here is a little help!
- If you enter the university campus through the main gate facing College Street on the east, the building on your right hand side is the library building. Let the security personnel know that you are an affiliated college student and have come to enquire about library membership.
- Deposit your belongings in the baggage counter, located on the right after entering through the library gate.
- Library cards, forms and other stuff are issued from the counter located next to the photocopy section. If you are not allowed to go there, come outside and go round the building. That counter can be accessed from the eastern side of the building.
- The Central Enquiry is located in the Ashutosh Building on your left hand side as you enter through the main gate. However, you have to access it from outside. Come out on the college street pavement and walk a few steps towards Medical College in the south; you will see the board of Central Enquiry.
Please note that Calcutta University Central Library membership rules, fees and criteria can change from time to time. We are not affiliated to the University of Calcutta. Candidates are requested to cross check the rules and fees from the official website of the University of Calcutta in case of any doubt or discrepancy.